Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Lessons Learned

Last night Mike and I took Dooley and Dixie out to the farm so they could get out some of their excessive energy. While there we used Mom and Dad's Rhino (off-road vehicle). We have known for awhile that Dooley gets very very anxious around the Rhino and barks and pretty much tries to attack the tires so we really were not surprised when he had the same reaction last night. This behavior quickly got really annoying and Mike and I both found ourselves getting very frustrated at him. Dooley would start barking and Dixie being the little sister she is just chimed right in.

After we left the farm I felt bad about getting so frustrated at Dooley and yelling at him to stop. I told Mike that we probably didn't handle the situation the in the best way and told him that I realized that Dooley was afraid of the Rhino and the way he was behaving was natural for him. I began to think of a process that would possibly work in getting him over his fear of the Rhino.

SIDE NOTE: Dooley is SO SO very eager to please us. This is an American Bulldog trait. When we ask him to do something he doesn't think he can do, then with A LOT of encouraging from us, he successfully completes the task we ask of him, then praise him, he will usually do it over and over knowing it is making us happy.

Step 1: Walk through the Rhino when it is shut off. Mom and I have completed this step with him and Dixie before. It has been awhile though.

Step 2: Sit in the Rhino when it is shut off.

Step 3: Stand beside the Rhino when it is running without barking or being nervous.

Step 4: Sitting in the Rhino when it is turned on (not moving). I am nervous about this one. This one will mean he has made MAJOR progress.

Step 5: Sitting in the Rhino when it is moving.

Step 6: Have Dooley walk beside, in front, and behind the Rhino while it is moving while in his "training gear".Training gear includes his pinch collar and a 6 ft leather leash that Mike and I use only when we are training him. When we bring out the training gear Dooley knows to be on his best behavior and he is very very submissive to us. He knows it is time to work. BTW - he LOVES training and being praised (another bulldog trait)

Step 7: VICTORY!! Dooley can run freely with or around the Rhino without trying to attack it and he can sit in the Rhino and ride with us.

I have great faith in my Dooley. He is extremely smart and I know he can do this. He is a great obedient dog and like I said before he lives to please us. Dixie already loves the Rhino and 4-wheeler so she will be our little model to show Dooley how to do it first. Mike and I put her on the 4wheeler the day we got her a mistake we made when we first got Dooley. I will let you know how it goes!! Wish Dooley and us luck and patience!

No comments: