Disclaimer: I will not mention any names, because that would be oh-so rude. AND I should tell you that this encounter occurred YEARS ago....like around 5 years ago at least. But you never forget this kind of story people so I will share.
If you came from my facebook post....welcome to my blog...ok dokey...story time....
One Sunday afternoon my boss called me and told me that when she got to work (yes, she works weekends) there was a tiny white english bulldog puppy that was making herself quite comfy on our porch. I quickly told her this HAD to be someone's pet because they are very expensive. The puppy had no identification. I came up to my office to take a look. We could tell the pup was deaf but super sweet and most definitely a bulldog pup. The puppy continued to hang out in our work front yard and porch all day until it began to get dark. My boss was torn on whether to leave the puppy in our yard or take it home. I was worried to death that it would wander into the road and get hit. So needless to say she took it home Sunday night.
Monday she brought it back to work early Monday morning where it continued to hang out and chill on our porch and yard. I decided to put out flyers around Milner in an effort to find the owner...because anyone like me would assume that if one "lost" a bulldog puppy the owner would be out trying to find said puppy...RIGHT?!? My boss also called the local vet to see if it happened to have got shots there recently or been seen or if anybody had called them looking for it. No go. The next day (Tuesday) my boss was going out of town so she could not take her home with her Monday night so it came home with me.
My Dixie Bell (American bulldog) fell completely in love with her BUT we could not keep her....Bulldogs are way expensive and she was deaf. She needed someone with experience with deaf dogs. Not us.
So Tuesday came around and still no owners... the pup came back to work with me and spent all day playing outside. Finally Tuesday afternoon, I figured maybe the dog had been put out because it was deaf and I thought to myself that SURELY...after 3 days the owner would have come forward by then if there was an owner so I did what a good hearted bulldog lover would have done and started to try to find the deaf pup a good home. Mike asked around his work and a lady there had experience with deaf dogs and had a good fenced in yard so Tuesday night we took the dog to the ladies house and wished them well.
So Wednesday went by and we get to Thursday afternoon and my work phone starts ringing. Low and behold there is a lady on the phone blessing me up down and sideways and DEMANDING her puppy back immediately. WHOA-NOW....let's just calm yourself down and talk. I was not giving her puppy back with her talking to me like that. SERIOUSLY have some respect and how about THANK me for taking care of your puppy for the past 5 days. Act like you are heartbroken..for all she knew I let the puppy wander off into the great unknown.
Ya'll, it seriously pissed me off. I was LIVID. She then tried to tell me that she let the pup out Monday morning and never saw it again....WRONG...it was at our work all day Sunday. She didn't even know the pup was deaf. Ok, let me go ahead and tell you that this lady lived VERY close to our work...If she would have gone outside she would have easily seen the many hours the puppy was outside playing on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday. Then she tried to question why I hadn't come and knocked on her door asking if it was her dog. She just was not being nice. So she told me she was calling the police and hung up so I had some warning.......
Soon a Milner police officer (the chief at the time) came knocking on the door. If you know me, you probably know...I am SO non confrontational. I HATE it, but I wanted the police to hear my side because without my help the puppy would have not made it for nights outside alone on a busy street. The police was nice enough because I was crying... but he made it very clear by calling the judge right in front of me that it was against the law to not give the puppy back even though I didn't have the puppy anymore. I could have refused to give it back or I could have lied and said ...the puppy took off and I never saw it again, who knows what the police could have done then...I wouldn't have lied, but I often think what would have happened...would I have been arrested if I could not produce the dog for whatever reason?!? What if the dog had really ran off into the clear blue wonder....The girls story just didn't sound right to me and didn't ever add up. How can you just not look for days and then suddenly demand it back in the manner she did. I wanted her to prove it was hers and supposedly she did to the police.
Ok....some side notes:
I did not really "understand" how this was against the law. All I do know for sure is I learned one of those nasty not so sweet life lessons that day... GOOD DEEDS NEVER GO UNPUNISHED! =)
It wasn't the fact that she wanted the pup back, it was how she was so rude to me and calling the police that really made me upset. If she would have walked over and explained to me what happened and thanked me for keeping her lost puppy safe I would have gladly given back the puppy......
Needless to say, Thursday night Mike and I went to pick up the puppy from the people I gave it to. It was so sad. The woman gave back the puppy and you can imagine I cried all the way to Milner. We dropped off the pup to the police officer on duty to give back to the girl, because there was no way Mike or I were going to deal directly with her. Mike was beyond mad and upset. Sorry to say...it completely made Mike and I question helping animals ever again. Mike and I try our best to be responsible with our two American Bulldogs and have gone to great lengths to keep them safe and in a fenced yard.
I am also sad to say that I heard through the grape-vine that she ran over the puppy only a short time after this all happened.
So that's the story.....want to see some pics....yes?? I thought so...I took a few when my Dixie and her were playing.
I need to update this blog so bad. I can't believe I haven't post about Brae's birthday or Thanksgiving or seeing Santa....It's coming, it's coming....This fall has flown by and I cannot believe Christmas is around the corner. Thank goodness this Santa is DONE with shopping...


1 comment:
Oh my Megan! I vaguely remember a little about this. Thanks for sharing the whole story. So sorry! By the way, please do update about the events mentioned. =)) This Santa is happy to be done as well!
Post a Comment