Early on in our marriage I knew I only wanted one child. I am an only child and can not imagine having siblings much like people with siblings cannot imagine being an only child. Mike was on board with this too because he was 100% positive we would have a boy and well....that would be that. Except.....that his "boy" turned out to be a "girl"...
Best made plans....
Mike still dreams about having a boy....what man doesn't?!? But a lot of different reasons continue to make us just happy with our one and only little girl.
- No maternity insurance. Yes, I am one of those girls who now has private health insurance that most definitely does not cover maternity....lovely, right?!? With a normal healthy pregnancy/delivery the cost would be do-able, but there are no guarantees and I am not willing to take that chance. I am not a risk taker....never have been. =)
- We are a family that likes to "go and do" and I just don't know if it would be so easy to "go and do" quite so much with another child.
- My sanity....yes, I said it. I am quite sure I am one of those women who would be FRAZZLED with multiple kids. I know this about myself and I accept it.
- Money is already tight. I know we could manage with another child, but it would be difficult.
- I LOVE to sleep. Let me repeat...I LOVE TO SLEEP!!! Mike likes his sleep too, and thank the Lord, my precious little girl likes to sleep and to sleep in her own bed. And I just feel darn lucky that she does. Another child might not....and well back to the #1...I don't take risks...I kid I kid...but not really! =)

9 comments:
I have had all of those same thoughts!! I love your daughter's name by the way, she is precious!
Great post! We have only one because I have been unable to get pregnant again. It's great to see a list of reasons to have only one!
I an only child...and it was such a blessing.
Fabulous post! I totally understand the feelings of wanting or considering to have just one and hearing the reactions of family and friends. You have to do what is best for your family!!
Stopping from Kelly's Korner! I have an only too.
My only rarely sleeps. We can't wait until he sleeps longer.
Found you at Kelly's, too. I also have no maternity insurance. When I was pregnant with my daughter, people would ask, "Is she your first?" And I would answer truthfully, "My only." That was our plan and it still is. She LOVES playing by herself and she has a lot of energy (and that leaves me worn out! haha). I had siblings and it was no walk in the park since I was the oldest. We are super happy with our girl, too!
Hi, just stopping by from Kelly's Korner. I'm a mother of 1 (girl) as well, not as much by choice but I agree with you on pretty much all of your points on being a mother of just 1. I think multiple kids would frazzle me as well! Some of us were just born to have ONE!
Take care!
Stopping by from Kelly's Korner -- we have one daughter as well and are almost certain we are done. If we had to decide today, we would say "this is working out pretty perfectly just like this":)
I don't know anyone else who has made the choice to only have one (other than my husband's parents!:) so I'm enjoying "meeting" some of you.
Love this Megan! I feel the SAME WAY! :)
Post a Comment