Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Not Put Head Under Mommy!

Two weeks ago I started Brae in swimming lessons. She is so clingy in the pool and I just wanted her to get her more comfortable in the water.

The first two days were great, she was kicking and jumping in, but day number three went terribly south. This was the day she was made to go up under water and attempt to hold her breath for a few seconds. On the way home she said her stomach hurt and she threw up a little bit of water. I just thought she swallowed some water.

The next day lessons were canceled because it was raining and a bit chilly. Saturday morning I took her to lessons but the were cut short because it was still kind of chilly. Nuna picked up Brae, but she was already out of the water and dried off. That night we had a swimming birthday party for Brae's little cousin Cooper. She would not come off of the pool steps. She had a scared face and kept saying, "not put head under Mommy". I finally talked her into coming in with me and promised I would not put her head under. She kicked but was not having as much fun in the water as she had in the past. Sunday we went swimming again and same thing. She would not come off the steps.

Monday I took her back to lessons. She was not happy but I thought eventually she would be ok. Nuna picked her up for me and brought her home. She said Brae had been very upset and had started crying uncontrollably when she got there. It broke her heart and mine!


The next day I decided to talk to Mrs. Tyrena and told her that I thought Braelyn was getting traumatized and that the last thing I wanted was to make her scared of the water, because she loves water. She was on board with not making Brae put her head under and we tried to tell Brae that she would not have to put her head under, but she was so worked up and scared that she threw up in the pool. I finally got her calmed down and keep reassuring her she would not have to put her head under. It hurt my feelings so bad! Ugh, being a Mom is SO hard! But I knew in my mind that I didn't want her to quit. We committed for two weeks so we were going to get through them.

Everyday after that on the way to lessons she would say over and over...."not go under Mommy", "not go under Mommy". I would assure her she was not going under unless she wanted to and she was good with that. She also told Mrs. Tyrena the same thing when she got in the pool. She wanted to make double sure she wasn't going to have to go under.

 

The rest of the week lessons went great. She learned how to blow bubbles and kick really good, jump in, float on top of the water with only slight assistance, and even tried to touch the bottom of the pool with her feet causing her head to go under little by little without fear. She also was putting her eye lashes in the water by the end of the week which was progress.

I am so proud of her and me for sticking with the two weeks of lessons. I could have easily quit when she was crying and scared. I want to protect her, but I don't want to be a crutch for her. It is a very fine line and I pray for constantly for guidance. I am glad that I didn't make her keep going under because I think eventually she would have hated the pool. She was not ready to learn to swim, and that is perfectly ok. She did amazing!

No comments: